Friday, October 5, 2012

team glendene

Friday the 28th we went up to Kennesaw to celebrate my brother, Clint's 22nd birthday with food, friends and drinks.  It was nice to spend some time together, but we had to get up bright and early Saturday morning for the Walk to End Alzheimer's hosted by the Alzheimer's Association at Atlantic Station.  My sweet friends were very kind and donated to our team.  Atlanta raised almost $500,000!!!

My brother and I wanted to raise funds in honor of our grandparents Leon and Glendene.  My grandma Glendene is still living with Alzheimer's and my grandfather cared for her until he passed away this summer.  I owe a lot to my grandparents for being so strong in their Christian faith and setting an example of what marriage is about.  I can tell you that they were some of the sweetest and generous people you could ever meet.  I really miss them, but I know how blessed I am to have had all four of my grandparents well into my adulthood.


In the last decade, my grandfather was completely devoted to my grandma.  If you don't know someone with Alzheimer's --- it can take a lot of patience and kindness dealing with  someone who is disoriented and repeats the same questions over and over.  My grandfather stayed true to his wedding vows and never left her side and I never heard him complain.  They were faithful to each other for 64 years.


We walked the 5K with all the other people who came out for the event.  The weather was cloudy, but nice.  If only I were in better shape, I would have loved to RUN the whole thing.



At the starting line!
I screen printed our shirts... thanks to Lauren of mycalicoskies for the tutorial. 

Waiting to begin!




My husband : )
Surprise shot ;-)
Cute four legged walkers!
Lots of people came to support the cause!

Thank you so much to all our friends' donations!  It is deeply appreciated!







3 comments:

  1. hey beauty!!! I wanted to respond to your question :)! It is such a good one!! and honestly I HOPE we are doing an okay job. We try and talk about the true meaning of Christmas more than we do about the presents and we tell them that Santa is just a fun game, not real! your blog is beautiful friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO beautiful!! Popping over from Sugar and Dots to say hello. :) Have a wonderful week and very happy 2013! XOXO

    ReplyDelete