Monday, August 31, 2015

Chloe's Birth Story



We are in baby heaven over at our house and I want to tell Chloe's birth story before I forget any details.  I already feel like a lot of it is a haze for me because I went 100% natural and I was so focused on managing the pain that I was completely unaware of my surroundings.  Forgive me - I'm not sparing any details so it's long.

On Wednesday August 26th, I woke up at 4 am with contractions!  I knew this was something because I was 10 days overdue and had felt nothing the entire time.  I was finally noticing Braxton Hicks just before bed that night, but before that - really - nothing.  It seemed as though I would be pregnant forever because every single day that goes by past your due date feels like an eternity.

I immediately loaded a contraction timer app and laid on the couch in the dark counting my contractions.  They were lasting about a minute with 13 minute breaks in between.  I was able to get a little more sleep from about 7-9 and then woke Michael up to let him know!  Our baby girl is finally coming!


He ran to get Chick Fil A for me for breakfast and then stayed by my side the entire day, keeping track of my contractions and bringing me water.  We labored at home all day.  The contractions got more intense and frequent as the day went by.  Around 4:00 pm I felt like the pain was strong enough that I needed to get to the hospital.  At this point, things are a little hazy in my mind. My eyes were closed while I managed the pain, but I could hear Michael running around the house and starting the car.  We got in and Michael drove. As I sat on towels (in case my water broke), it felt like every minor crack and bump in the road was a giant pot hole or speed bump.  It was an uncomfortable car ride to say the least, but we made it there!

 Michael got me on a wheelchair in the ER and rushed to park the car.  Someone wheeled me over to the registration desk as I contracted. It smelled like body odor and cigarettes and I couldn't wait to get wheeled up to the labor and delivery floor.  However, once we got up there, I had to wait in the lobby where families wait - they didn't have a clean room ready for me!  It must have been a very busy day full of births. They prepped the room for me as quickly as the could. I didn't know at the time, but I was already dilated to 7 cm as I sat there having another strong contraction out in the lobby. It's probably better that I didn't know I was so far along because I might have freaked out, but I just sat there with my eyes closed and dealt with the pain.

Finally they rolled me over to a room, I got out of the wheelchair, ripped my clothes off and got into a hospital gown.  I think I asked for an epidural at that point, but they told me I had made it so far!  Already 7 cm! (They were shocked because outwardly, I seemed too calm to be at 7 cm).  They asked - was I sure about getting an epidural?  I guess I wasn't sure (don't really remember what I said).  So I kept laboring naturally and it continued to get much more intense.

It was probably another 3 or 4 hours until Chloe was born although I had lost all sense of time.  Michael coached me through every single contraction.  He was so good at timing them (and knows me so well) that he could tell me right when I was about to have one.  I actually thought there was a monitor telling him when I was contracting, but there wasn't!  He really was so focused on taking care of me and watching for signals of another contraction.  He would tell me when the pain had peaked and kept reminding me that I would get a break until the next contraction.  He fed me ice and massaged my back.  There's no way I ever would have made it through without him and I am forever thankful to have such a loving and caring husband.

Around 9 or 9.5 cm I really showed the final "emotional signpost" - self doubt - and the feeling that you can't do it. I wish I could say I never wavered, but...  I begged for the epidural.  The pain had really hit a new level and I didn't think I could make it another hour - or push for that matter.  Everyone in the room apparently knew that this baby was coming soon and she was coming naturally, but humored me and said they would get the IV set up, but warned that it takes a long time and that the baby might come before they can get me all set up.

My amazing midwife looked me in the eye and told me I could do it.  I had made it this far.  That I would push soon.  Still, I couldn't be convinced.  I continued to hope that they would get the epidural ready in time.  They had me do some things (probably to distract me until it was time to push).  I sat on the toilet, I draped my arms over Michael and swayed from side to side for a few minutes.  They tried to get me to sit on a birthing ball, but that was just unbearable to me.  So I laid back down waiting for the urge to push.  I have always heard that the urge to push is so strong and your body just knows what to do, but I never felt it.  I was also terrified to push.  I was already in pain like I had never felt in my life - and I was so scared that pushing would hurt even more.

The midwife told me I could push.  I shook my head no.  I wouldn't do it.  Didn't feel ready and was full of fear.  So she grabbed a sheet and had me do tug-of-war to force myself to squeeze and push.  That worked and I began to push!  Eventually we threw the sheet off to the side and just pushed like normal.  Michael thinks I pushed maybe a total of 12 times in about 30 minutes.  To me, it seemed like it wasn't doing anything and I don't remember anyone telling me "okay the head is coming" or "you're almost there."

In my mind, she was stuck and I was going to endure this pain forever.  But I was wrong of course!  She came out!  It was a meconium birth, meaning that she pooped before she came out, so they couldn't give her to me immediately.  They had to make sure she didn't swallow it or breath it in.  I heard her cry and she must have been fine because they brought her over to me just a minute later and put her on my chest.  Michael really wanted to do skin-to-skin too, so he ripped his shirt off and hugged us to his chest.  It was the sweetest!  I will always remember how excited he was to be a daddy.


Her face was so close to mine that I couldn't see it, I just saw that she had a head full of black hair and dark "gorilla hair" (haha) all over her back and shoulders.  My brown baby!  I always wanted our babies to have Michael's beautiful Nicaraguan traits, but never knew if it would happen.  She looks so much like her daddy (at least at this point).

As soon as she was out, I felt no pain.  It was amazing and worth it. For me, it feels like the short term pain is paying off in a long term easier recovery.  I was immediately able to get up, walk around and feel somewhat "normal." They made me eat a turkey sandwich and apple juice since I hadn't eaten all day.  It was terrible hospital food, but it tasted like the best thing I had ever eaten.

We had an amazing stay at the hospital and brought our sweet baby girl home on Michael's 31st birthday.  Everyone has been so helpful bringing us food and giving Chloe snuggles.  My parents have bent over backwards taking the night shift with me and keeping my house clean.  I have never felt so much love towards my husband and daughter and I have never felt so much love from other people.  God has blessed me and my family so much!  We are in love with our little Chloe!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nicole! It's Stephanie from your KSU days :-). I stumbled across your blog and wanted to drop in and say hi! Huge congratulations on you and Michael's new baby girl! She's so adorable! We just welcomed our second daughter in August too! Glad to see you and your sweet family are doing well. Love to all!

    ReplyDelete